Preventing Dementia (2017-03) MOOC
Preventing Dementia is a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), offering university-quality education about the latest research in dementia risk and protective factors. The free 5-week course provides an opportunity to engage with the perspectives of a global community, without requiring exams or assignments.
With the ageing of the world’s population, dementia is a major public health issue. Is it possible to modify your risk of dementia? A substantial proportion of risk is associated with advanced ageing as well as genetic risk factors, but the latest research has indicated there are modifiable risk factors which may decrease your susceptibility to dementia. The Preventing Dementia MOOC investigates the best available evidence about dementia prevention, drawing on a range of expertise from around the globe.
You will have the opportunity to engage in online discussions, and can also participate in new research in this field, to help us determine the most effective ways to help people reduce their dementia risk. At the end of the Preventing Dementia MOOC, there is also the opportunity to undertake an assessment of your individual risk.
Preventing Dementia is suited to everyone - whether you are an individual with an interest in brain health and/or dementia risk reduction, or an allied health professional, clinician, aged care service provider or health policy professional - this course is designed to be accessible and appealing to people from diverse backgrounds.
For the first 3 days after the course opens you can access the orientation section to familiarise yourself with the functions of the learning environment. Content is then released weekly during the following 5 weeks. To obtain the most from this course, participants should expect to spend approximately 2 hours per week engaging with the course content and activities. After successfully completing the final quiz, participants will be eligible to download a free certificate of completion.
Module 1 – Can Dementia Be Prevented?
- Key concepts in dementia prevention
- Definition of dementia and introduction to the diseases that cause dementia
- Important factors influencing the numbers of people with dementia across the globe
- The impact of dementia on the health care system
Module 2 – Risk Factors for Dementia
- How we study dementia risk in populations
- Non-modifiable vs modifiable risk factors
- The major modifiable risk factors
- How dementia risk is measured at individual and population levels
Module 3 – Dementia Risk – It’s Not All in Your Head
- Evidence supporting links between key vascular and medical risk factors with dementia
Module 4 – A Healthy and Active Mind
- Evidence supporting links between key lifestyle factors and risk of dementia
- Impact of depression on dementia risk
- Impact of education on dementia risk
- Concept of ‘cognitive reserve’
Module 5 – Interventions for Prevention
- Key strategies for prevention at the individual and population level
- Encouraging healthy behaviours
- What you can do to reduce your risk of dementia
- Current research initiatives
Frequently Asked Questions about the Preventing Dementia (2017-03) MOOC
If you have other questions about the Preventing Dementia MOOC, please contact us.